Roasted chicken and vegetables with wasabi creme fraiche and spiced pepitas? I know what you’re thinking. What the heck? You’re supposed to be giving us “doable” farm to table recipes for busy folks who may not have all the time in the world to be in the kitchen. Trust me folks, this dish takes minimal effort, even though it looks like you’ve slaved away. My On The Vine csa produce box from North Scottsdale Farmers Market was chock full of beautiful veggies, and I needed to figure out what dish I could make that would help get through these veggies before the arrival of our next box! I love the challenge of it actually. Not to mention, my family has never eaten more veggies than ever. This dish is rustic with interesting and intense flavors, yet accessible. My husband and toddler ate it without hesitation.
The original recipe calls for horseradish instead of wasabi. Being from Hawaii, I always have a tube of wasabi (which can be found in the Asian food section of the grocery store). In fact, I like that this dish incorporates ingredients from my childhood and the Southwest.
Also, the original recipe has an excellent recipe for a roast chicken, but I opted to serve it with an organic rotisserie chicken from the market instead. I also used the remainder of my coveted Gina’s Homemade creme fraiche. If you are in the Phoenix area, I highly recommend trying their homemade creme fraiche and cheeses. You can also find creme fraiche at a local grocery store, or possibly substitute with sour cream.
This recipe is flexible. You can roast whatever vegetables you have that are in season. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables via caramelization.
- Prep Time : 01h 15min
- Cook Time : 55 minutes
- Yield : 4-6
- Roasted Vegetables:
- cauliflower - 1 head, cut into florets
- carrots - 4, halved and chopped into large pieces
- onion - 1, sliced
- zucchini - 1, quartered and cut into 2
- beet - 1 large, quartered and cut into 2
- red potatoes - 1 pound (4 small), quartered
- olive oil - 3 T
- sea salt - 3 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- garlic - 4 cloves, skin peeled
- Toasted Pepitas:
- lemon juice - 1 tsp
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- cumin - 1/2 tsp
- pepitas - 1/2 cup raw, shelled
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Wasabi Creme Fraiche:
- creme fraiche - 1/2 cup
- wasabi - 1 tsp (more to taste)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- rotisserie chicken - 1
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prep the veggies by scrubbing beet and carrots. Cut the vegetables according to instructions above.
- Add all of the vegetables and garlic to a roasting pan, and drizzle with olive oil. Generously salt and pepper. Toss to coat all vegetables.
- Bake in oven for approximately 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the lemon, olive oil, cumin, chili pepper, salt, pepper, and pepitas. Lay on sheet pan, and bake in oven for approximately 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, mix creme fraiche, wasabi, salt and pepper.
- Spoon veggies onto a plate, top with piece of rotisserie chicken, drizzle with wasabi creme fraiche.