I love homemade caesar salad. The creamy and salty dressing is one of my favorites, especially when it is done right, like at Il Capo Pizzeria in Scottsdale. I am always finding new ways for my family to eat kale (from our On The Vine Farms CSA box), so I found this kale Caesar salad recipe, made with silken tofu instead of raw eggs or mayo. I adapted the recipe for a bit more kick with anchovy and lemon, and the feedback from friends and family was that they could not tell the difference from a traditional Caesar salad. The farro also adds a nutty, subtle flavor that breaks up the bitterness of the kale. The best part is that it keeps very well fully dressed in the fridge for a couple of days (minus the croutons, of course).
An egg-less and nutrient dense Caesar salad with kale, silken tofu, and farro! Feel free to double the recipe. Use leftover day old bread or whatever you have on hand for the croutons. You may use Parmesan. I use Pecorino Romano for economical reasons.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 4-6
- sea salt - on hand
- farro - 1/3 cup
- baguette - 2 slices
- Olive oil - 2 Tablespoons
- garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Kale - 1 head, destemmed and chopped
- silken tofu - 8 oz, half container
- anchovy paste - 1 Tablespoon - to taste
- dijon mustard - 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice - 1 Tablespoon - to taste
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- pecorino romano - 1/4 cup, freshly grated
- In a small saucepan, cook farro in boiling water according to instructions. After done cooking, drain, and put in ice bath, drain again. Set aside.
- Rub slices of bread with garlic clove. Cut into cubes, if desired. On medium high heat, heat olive oil in medium skillet, and toast bread slices.
- In a food processor or magic bullet, add rough chopped garlic cloves, silken tofu, anchovy paste, dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Add two tablespoons of water while running, if needed, for consistency. Add two teaspoons Pecorino Romano cheese, and pulse. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put kale and farro in a large bowl, and toss with the dressing. Top with remaining cheese and croutons.